Keep Your Home Secure This Summer
The promise of a British summer brings a heightened sense of excitement and widespread hysteria across the country. Although in actual fact we generally get a couple of days of sunshine in April. We dust off the barbeque which for a number of months has been no more than a sporting arena for the wildlife Olympics in your garden shed. Our clothes offer less coverage and more freedom and comfort, and of course we throw open every window in the house so our living room is licked by the summer breeze.
One thing you may not realise, or in fact pay any attention to whilst the sun beams down on the UK, is the security problems that the nice weather does bring. Even if you don’t forget to close the windows at night, the bolder criminals might even attempt to take advantage of easy access to your valuables during the day.
The Police offer the following advice to avoid a theft in warmer weather:
- Keep the front and back doors locked and windows closed as much as possible, also on cars.
- If windows are open, keep them on the latch so that they cannot be opened further from outside.
- Keep valuables and keys out of sight and well away from front or back doors where they may be easily reached.
- Keep side gates locked.
- Put away garden tools, ladders etc. after use so they cannot be used to gain access.
- Use a strong lock on sheds, garages and other outbuildings and bolt hinges on for additional security.
- Consider fitting outdoor security lighting.
- Keep an eye on neighbouring properties.
- If you see anything suspicious contact police on 101.
Remember that if you are a victim of theft but there is no sign of break-in as the thief has gained access through an open window, you may be unable to claim. Please check your policy wording or contact us on 0161 786 3160 and we will be more than willing to help.